Sunday, October 5, 2014

Entertainment Dodo: Petulant opinions and pish posh

Quite recently, I was led to believe that my preferences in terms of the content of entertainment, may be becoming instinct for this world. Belonging to a fairly conservative family and being an Indian child born in the 90's, am the sort of kid who covered her eyes during the steamy scenes of Titanic.Till my late teens, I derived great entertainment value from Cartoon Network and Disney channel . Watching the famous sitcom, F.R.I.E.N.D.S. ,was like achieving a benchmark in adulthood. The frequency and casualness with which they spoke about their sexual endeavors and French kissed, was quite a leap from seeing two shaking flowers in the Indian movies. Ofcourse, the brilliant humour,direction, acting and screen play got me addicted to the show. I can watch all the episodes repeatedly and still be as amused and awestruck as the first time. Infact all the onscreen 'romancing' further added a flavour of reality to the show and I guess everybody wishes to be a 'Monichandler'.I can rant on about the awesomeness of the show but I guess a separate post on that later.
 I also watched a few seasons of Full house which I categorized as a "clean" show. It was cute,funny and endearing until it got redundant and dull.I also started watching Suite life of Zack and Cody out of my desperation for a neat show without sex as its main element.It was light and innocent comedy and I watched more than one season! Everybody loves Raymond,Happy Endings and Rules of engagement were some shows that I enjoyed too.I was also temporarily hooked on to Desperate housewives and Keeping up with the Kardashians .Two and a half men was funny too until it gave me a headache. In-fact, despite the show being based on the protagonist's promiscuity, I found it to be quite juvenile.
Prison Break was grotesque but my curiosity got the better of me and I completed the first season and then left it. However, it seemed quite benign after watching Game of thrones! Oh.my.god. That show has created a rage and everyone around is hooked to it! I forced myself to watch the first two seasons to dent my prudish tendencies. I wont deny that I enjoyed the story line, a Pottermore member, I do like a good story centered around magic, but if feeling shocked while watching a ten year old be breast fed ,women giving birth to shadows and dragons, gross forms of incest, mutilated bloody body parts strewn across the snow, massacre of babies ,et cetera ,et cetera, make me a snob, then be it!

Am presently following The Big Bang Theory ,Modern Family and Arrested Development which are in the top ten in the IMDB TV series list, so I guess my preferences are not exactly obsolete. Saw pilot episode of The Sopranos, found it catchy but I don't know if starting an entire new show in the middle of my thesis is a good idea.  

## WTF?? So basically you despise GOT? Worrrrd! ##    
>>No, am not yet a CouchPotato on QuizUp, I was just unreasonable irked by the GOT craze. Got similar views? Comment away. Got " Winter is coming" on your shirt? Go swim in a meat ball pit.

No comments: