Sunday, May 15, 2016

On why I love my job

Great to be working. Why? Well its a good feeling to be self sufficient and to enjoy those eight hours at work and come back home to your rented apartment knowing you made all this possible.

About a year ago, I started working for a British company that deals in analytics and consultancy for a range of commodities. Sounds off beat but that puts it in line with my post-graduation centered around resource economics and was an interesting change from the usual mono-focused calculus-stats based economics taught across most schools. There were some hiccups in the beginning but the fact that I call them hiccups instead of challenges is because I am learning to take things in perspective and not overreact to avoid generation and subsequent recollection of negative memories over time.

I am writing this post at work so I have given myself a timeline lest I go on about the recent past in excruciating detail. But to express my gratitude and to remind myself on bitter days how lucky I am,here goes a list of things I am grateful and/or happy about:

Not your usual sit behind the desk ,crunch numbers job

Why do I say crunch numbers? Well all work involves some amount of grunt work  but a lot of entry level jobs will just violate a person's sense of being by involving them in the most mundane of tasks. I am sure most philosophical awakenings must be frequented at work place and corporate sector is brimming with existential crisis all around. I experienced the same but I have come out enjoying my work and realizing how its a lucrative option for the present.

People ,people,people


Are they all a treat to talk to? Bah,humbug. But the most senior of people are quite accessible and I had a chit-chat with the CEO on my commencement here. Some senior colleagues ( no sir or boss here) have the most cordial and humble style of talking to the extent that its heart warming. In fact its one of the reasons which prompted this post. Now that I recall, they were very cordial and responsive during the recruitment process too. Usually human resources are quite incommunicado.

A student with a fat stipend

..is how I feel. Since the role is a cross between research,analysis and client engagement, reading and updating my knowledge is of the essence. I am not a smiley face on all days but yes on most days I have something interesting to look forward too. 

I get to see sunny days and I know that Penny and Sheldon teamed up against Leonard

Its not soul sucking and I have time for myself.

The 'at work joys' are reducing progressively because I am running behind my slotted time for this post. I have a lot more to share but for now this a good summary. Hopefully I'll have some exciting work stories to blog next time.

#Tip: Best ways to beat work blues is to wake up on time,spend some me time by yourself and then shake off the cluttering tiny thoughts and brace yourself for the new week. Get coffee on slow days( avoid the habit though). In fact many experts agree on the coffee theory. Garfield is a popular propagandist.

No comments: